Fear Not

I know a lot of people who no longer watch the news. Not just because they are overwhelmed, but they question the sources.  44% of the worldwide news is reportedly inaccurate. The other 56% leaves enough to cause a lot of concern. 

Our fears have a lot to do with perspective.

In Nigeria, a Christian is martyred every two minutes. This year the YWAM Prayer Diary devoted a lot of space asking for prayer in countries that do not have clean water. People walk miles to fill jugs at polluted sources. Children are especially vulnerable, and the death toll is terrible.

As missionaries, the news finds us. 

There is a red-hot situation in Haiti happening right now. The YWAM campus is out of fuel for their generator, which means no electricity. They are low on water. There is rioting and gunfire in the streets as gangs seem to prevail. A YWAM staff couple with a newborn baby has to travel to the American Embassy to obtain citizenship papers in the middle of all this chaos. It's hard to imagine.

How do we deal with burdens that can make us so fearful? 

From experience here are two things I've learned I shouldn't do. I hope they help you too. 

1. Don't keep it to yourself. Share it first with the Lord. How many times has the Lord answered me by placing a scripture on my heart that gives me peace?  Secondly, share it with someone you trust. When we carry one another's burdens, we fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2. Countless times God has also used those around me to give insight, confirmation, or speak an encouraging word when I needed it.  

2. Don't make it overly emotional. I had an intense burden for some troubled individuals. I was fearful for them. Having concern wasn't bad, but how I was dealing with it was. The remedy was to simply "cast all my cares" onto the Lord, and leave it with Him. It was a new measure of faith for me to commit things to Him, and rest in the fact that He was moving even if I didn't see it. 

As missionaries, we have seen God turn countless situations around as we pray. Jesus said that we would have tribulation, but to fear not. He has overcome the world. Interestingly, there are 365 places in the Bible where those words appear. One for every day. We should feel as secure as that newborn baby in Haiti. God is wonderfully able to surround us with peace no matter what we are going through.

The Good News of Jesus can change any circumstance. 


Learning how to deal with fear is part of everyone's discipleship process. Join a discipleship school to discover even more in your relationship with God and activate your faith.New call-to-action

Mary Brock

Written by Mary Brock

Mary Brock, and her husband Mark, joined ywam in 1975. She has worked in training, admissions and led the “Prayer Force” ministry at YWAM Tyler for 7 years. She manages YWAM Tyler's Facebook Prayer Group, and devotes her time to writing, editing, and being a grandmother. She also serves as Living Alternatives staff.

2 min read

Discipleship is the Key to Missions

This is me with one of only 800 copies of the Bible in the Sakari language. Honestly, it was a holy movement grasping...

3 min read

Why We Celebrate Thanksgiving

The tradition of celebrating a Thanksgiving holiday is a wonderful part of American life. Although this holiday is...

3 min read

God Is Moving in Ukraine

We receive urgent requests for prayer almost daily from Ukraine. It is incredible how God can orchestrate ministry even...

4 min read

What You Need to Know Before Taking a Gap Year

What if you could graduate high school, and you and your friends could travel the world with purpose? Would you...

2 min read

How You Can Champion Generation Z

There was a holy stillness in the classroom of 23 students. Some had hands in the air and eyes closed, others knelt,...

3 min read

Ministry to Displaced Ukrainians

A team of 25 missionaries from East Texas-based Youth With A Mission, or YWAM, are on a two-month outreach trip to...

4 min read

How You Know You're A Missionary

No one says it quite like Darlene Cunningham, co-founder of the largest mission organization on the planet — Youth With...

2 min read

God's Smuggler | A Real Life Hero

I believe in heroes, and I have had many in my lifetime. Brother Andrew, known as God's Smuggler, is undoubtedly one of...

2 min read

Dealing With Fear

I know a lot of people who no longer watch the news. Not just because they are overwhelmed, but they question the...

2 min read

The Spirit of Jesus

In an upcoming social media post that you'll see in the coming days, we are posting the caption: "The spirit of Christ...

2 min read

I Found God's Will and Escaped a Major Disaster

No relationship or career is worth more than being at the center of God’s will!

I had just finished law school in...

2 min read

The Day I Turned Around

We are so proud of our students here at YWAM Tyler. Please read Rose's story of how God set her free from self-harm and...